- Noisy Pipes – If the water pipes in question are exposed, noisy plumbing is an easy do-it-yourself plumbing fix. Firmly anchor any exposed water pipes.
- Preventing Frozen Pipes – To keep your pipes from bursting during frigid weather, open the nearest faucet a little. Doing so relieves the pressure in the pipe and keeps it from bursting. It will also prevent a huge mess in your house.
- Wash Your Septic Tank – Wash your septic tank every five years to keep it in tip-top share. Doing so prevents tank buildup associated with sediment. Allowing buildup to become unmanageable will cause your septic tank to back-up or even completely fail. While having your septic tank cleaned is expensive, it’s more costly to clean up sewer back up in your home.
- Know Your Tools – Have a thorough understanding of your plumbing tools. Know how to use them before you begin any kind of plumbing repair. If necessary, do a little research online and read about the various plumbing tools before you use them. Plan accordingly beforehand, because repairing a mistake can cost you a lot of money.
- Drain Filters – Install drain filters in all your drains. The filters will prevent your drainpipes from clogging up with debris. Clean debris from these filters as often as necessary.
- Proper Toilet Use – Your toilet is not a garbage disposal. Avoid flushing hygienic pads, sponges, cotton balls, paper towels, baby diapers and other funky things down your toilet.
If you own a home, a basic knowledge of plumbing is indispensable. Hiring a professional plumber is often the best decision when you are not certain. When there are gas lines involved, or you are not absolutely sure the difference between your gas lines and water lines, always call in a pro to handle the plumbing job. In the long run, it may end up saving your thousands of dollars. When you are in need of a good plumbing professional, contact the professionals at Best Plumbers®.