Clogged sewer drains, damaged plumbing pipes, and gas leaks are the most common emergency plumbing situations that people call when they need a plumbing professional to solve the problem. Many plumbing emergencies can be prevented before they actually occur. Emergency plumbers from Best Plumbers® report that plumbing negligence is the number one cause for obstructions in drains and defective pipes. The neglect of a home’s plumbing indicates that many people value their cars more than their home. Why? Because many homeowners service their cars once every 6 months while they dismiss doing the same on their plumbing systems until they face a plumbing emergency. Usually, when there is a major plumbing emergency, thousands of dollars of damage is done to the home.
Preventive plumbing maintenance to a home’s plumbing system, every couple of years, will not only keep plumbing fixtures, water heaters, drains and pipes in good condition for a long time, but will further allow you to spot early plumbing problems and have them fixed before they escalate to a costly plumbing emergency. When encountering an emergency plumbing situation, one can take steps to reduce damage and reduce the overall plumbing disaster.
Below are the 6 most common emergency plumbing troubles and advice on how to minimize the overall expense:
1. Broken Water Pipes: The number 1 priority, until the emergency plumber arrives on the scene is stop water flowing out of the leak in the pipe. Locate the main shutoff valve to the house and close it. Turning off the shutoff valve will close the water supply to the fixtures and therefore stop the flood. After the main shutoff valve to the home is closed, turn on the cold water taps to drain the pipes from the trapped water. After the water stops flowing from the broken water line, call in a local emergency plumber from Best Plumbers® to repair or replace the broken section of plumbing.
2. Frozen Water Pipes: When water freezes it expands and often bursts the pipes in a plumbing system. If you notice that a pipe is frozen, you can often prevent a plumbing disaster by taking action before the pipe thaws. Close the main shutoff valve to the home. If the pipe has not split, thaw it with hot water bottles from the end of the pipe nearest to the tap. Thawing must be gentle. WARNING: never use a naked flame or torch to thaw a pipe. Many homes are burnt to the ground every year because people try and thaw their plumbing this way. Too often, insulation is caught fire using this method. As a preventive maintenance against pipes freezing in the winter, make sure your pipes are appropriately insulated. This can save a homeowner tens of thousands of dollars in water damage from a plumbing disaster.
3. Leaky Plumbing Fixtures: Close the water shutoff valve leading to the leaky plumbing fixture. Check the plumbing fixture’s trap for debris, hair, soap scum, and food particles that might obstruct its opening and cause overflowing of the fixture. Contact an emergency plumber from Best Plumbers® for effective plumbing fixture repairs.
4. Blocked Drains & Toilets: Try to lift the plumbing obstruction by means of a plunger or a plumber’s snake. If such plumbing tools fail to dislodge the clog do not push too hard, or apply too much pressure to your plumbing system. Often, the use (or misuse) of these plumbing tools can cause much more damage. If you can not get the pipe flowing call in an emergency plumber from Best Plumbers®.
5. Gas leaks: If you smell gas evacuate the building. Gas leaks do not lend themselves to do-it-yourself repairs due to their deadly nature in the wrong hands. Once outside the home call in an emergency plumber from Best Plumbers® or the gas company. If you know where it is, it may be wise to turn off the gas meter at the control valve. If you are not absolutely certain you know what you are doing, do not even attempt it. Simply call and wait for an experienced professional.
6. Broken Water Heater: There are many different things that may cause a water heater to malfunction. There are many different components and factors to a water heater, from gas lines to leaking storage tanks. If you are in need of hot water for your home or business, it is always best to call in an emergency plumbing professional from Best Plumbers® to solve your water heater problems.